“But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly” (Luke 21:34).
The heart of every human being, especially a Christian is very important to God. Heart is synonymously used with soul in the scripture and it is the seat of decision making. In order to make good and godly decisions, our hearts must be guarded with all diligence. It is possible for the heart to be overcharged and unduly zealous. It is capable of being influenced by the flesh and system of the world. A closer look at this topic suggests that individuals have a duty to perform when it comes to the administration of the heart.
There are certain things Jesus warned believers to be aware of and run away
from. These include:
1. Taking heed to oneself. This has to do with being careful of what one does,
one’s actions and inactions.
2. Refraining from excess of anything, even things that are legitimate, such as
food, drinks and sex.
3. Drunkenness has been identified as one of the problems that affect the heart. Some believers are in the habit of justifying themselves when it
comes to the consumption of alcoholic beverages. Apart from being drunk
with wine, one can also be drunk with one’s desire for power, position, possessions and ideas (Exodus 5:2).
4. The cares of this life are one of the biggest problems of man, including
Christians. Allowing them to weigh us down, will result in the heart being
The way out of this is to cast all our cares and burdens upon the Lord who cares for us (1Peter 5:7).
1. Lord Jesus, I surrender my heart to You, possess it and let it be Yours.
2. I circumcise my heart and present it holy to God.